- Monday 24 February 2014

Pip Lincolne :: Meet Me at Mikes :: Writing Books, Building Community, Working Hard.

Photo by Angela White

Pip Lincolne :: Meet Me at Mikes



Pip Says:
"I edit this blog: Meet Me at Mike's.
I also edit the ace lady website : JustB
I am the teacher of Blog With Pip
I write for Mollie Makes & Frankie too
I am the leader of Brown Owls
I am the creator of The Good Stuff Guide"

Pip has written the following books:

Meet Me at Mike's - Hardie Grant Books

Sew La Tea Do -  Hardie Grant Books

Make Hey! While The Sun Shines - Hardie Grant Books

Meet Me at Mike's Craft Journal - Hardie Grant Books

Make Hey! Stationery Range - Hardie Grant Books 

The Friendly Society (writing this one now!) - Penguin Books



Interview with Pip:


When did you start blogging and why?


I started blogging in 2006 because I really wanted to a) self publish in some online magazine-y way b) have an almost daily writing practise that would keep me accountable and c) find a community to be part of

What has it meant to you over time? How has your blog changed?


My blog is the centre of all that I do. It's acted as an online folio, a daily positivity habit, a way to make friends, a funnel for all kinds of learning and growth. 

It's changed a lot - because I have changed - and it will change again. It's been through simple, homely phases, design focused phases, family focused phases. At the moment it's a mix of personal and lifestyle oriented posts.

How did you go about getting your first book published? Independent? Publishing house? 


I approached a publisher (Hardie Grant) because I had always wanted to write a book. Luckily they said yes!

Did publishers take you seriously as a blogger?


Yes they did. The knew my writing, understood I had a community and liked my work, generally. I was not a mystery to them. They could see what I was about right there on the screen.

Was the process different the next time around?


For book 2, 3 & 4 it was just a natural progression with the same publisher. For book 5 I hired a literary agent to help me wrangle the digital rights aspect of publishing. Hardie Grant knocked back book 5 but Penguin picked me up instead. 

What's the most challenging thing about moving from blog to book?

The publicity you need to do when you release a book. I really don't like it much. It's exposing and not part of why I make books. But I understand that it's important to promote books and give them their best chance at being seen, so I do my very best.

What's the best thing?


Working on a project from tiny seed to fruition with a creative team. I love that.

Any advice for newbies?


Work hard. Persist. Don't give up. It's taken me a long time to achieve what I've achieved, so stick at it, folks!

Have there been any other opportunities that have arisen from blogging? 


I get various speaking opportunities and I have a readymade audience for the things I do, which is fortunate. The friendships are the best thing, though. I've met some of my best friends via my blog/books


No comments:

Post a Comment